Shark Tank’s open call, Paris gets a new startup hub, co-eds give their business pitches, New York entrepreneurs meet up and the Super Bowl kicks off in New Orleans… This week’s notable news and startup events for young treps:
1. Shark Tank Open Call: The hit ABC show Shark Tank dispatched an open call to all entrepreneurs. Submit an application and join the running to be next Shark Tank success story in this first round of applications. Who knows, maybe you’ll be the next Shark Tank success story?
2. Avoid crowd funding mistakes: Crowd funding websites like Kickstarter and Indiegogo can be incredible tools to help startups raise capital, but there’s a lot more to these sites than filling out an online profile. Get the in’s and out’s in this HUB Workbench series. (San Francisco, Jan. 30)
3. Paris startup space: It’s a good time to be a young entrepreneur in Paris. Thanks to a gaggle of public and private donors, including $1.3 million from Google, the space will be used for a myriad of activities including hack-a-thons, barcamps and general workspace. (Paris, Jan. 31)
4. Southeast Entrepreneurship Conference: Highlights of the national collegiate event include 15 guest speakers, including Jeff Hoffman, founder of Priceline.com. The main event is a ‘Spartan Pitch Competition’ gives students 90 seconds to present startup ideas to a panel of judges for a chance to win funding. (Tampa, Fla., Feb. 1 – 2)
5. NY Tech Meetup: NYTM is a nonprofit group founded in 2004. Their monthly gatherings attract professionals in the tech community from all over the country. The aim of this event is to strengthen NYC’s tech scene by showcasing emerging companies and new tech demos. (New York, Feb. 5)
6. The SparkLabKC Program: This startup accelerator program for early-stage startups will start accepting applications on Friday. SparkLabKC offers up to $18,000 in funding for lucky participants, in addition to mentorship opportunities and free workspace. There’s also a formal demonstration day for investors. (Kansas City, Feb. 1)
7. Are you ready for some football? In case you’ve been living under a rock, you might not know that the San Francisco 49ers are due to take on the Baltimore Ravens this Sunday. But how about that half time show? Look for performances from Stevie Wonder and Justin Timberlake. (New Orleans, Feb. 3)