Inauguration Day, Nike and TechStars team up, Apple reports earnings, Tony Robbins talks business mastery, MarketingProfs hosts an online seminar, Etsy CEO sits down with PandoMonthly, TEDx comes to Baltimore… This week’s notable news and startup events for young treps:
1. Inauguration Day: Marking his second term in office President Barack Obama will address the nation this evening. Though the President is expected to address immigration and gun-control issues, as well as the debt debacle in Washington, we’re pretty sure that all eyes will be on what Michelle Obama is wearing.
2. Tony Robbins on Business Mastery: The famed self-help author and motivational speaker hosts an all business-focused ‘how-to’ seminar. From creating an effective business map to optimizing productivity this seminar is relevant to first time treps and startup veterans alike. (Las Vegas, Jan. 20 – 24)
3. Nike has an accelerator? Nike is teaming up with TechStars in what the sportswear-maker has dubbed The Nike+ Accelerator. In its cross-country recruitment tour, the accelerator is accepting applications from startups aiming to use Nike+ technology to create products and services revolving around training, coaching, gaming, data visualization and “quantified” self. Ten companies will be chosen to participate in a three-month, immersive, mentor-driven program. This week, the tour pays a visit to TechStars’ NYC HQ. In addition to pitching, you can also expect plenty of Nike SWAG, pizza and soft drinks. (New York, Jan. 24)
4. Gun control: Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. is expected to propose his task force’s ideas on curbing gun violence. Last week, President Obama also announced plans to introduce legislation that includes a ban on assault weapons. Meanwhile, gun and ammunition sales are soaring.
5. MarketingProfs hosts online seminar: Part of the Marketing Profs PRO Online Seminar series, “How to Use Agile Marketing to Get Measurable Results” is all about teaching busy marketers how to focus on customer experience and influence buyer decision-making by adapting to change in real-time. (Online, Jan. 24)
6. Apple to disappoint? The most valuable U.S. company, is expected to report its quarterly earnings Wednesday. Market watchers are expecting lower growth, as sales for the company’s flagship products such as the iPhone have fallen off in recent months.
7. Growth Hackers mixer: Growth Hackers of NYC unite for an after-work happy hour soirée. With the entry fee coming in at a whopping $1, this could be the startup deal of the year. (New York, Jan. 24)
8. PandoMonthly: The PandoMonthly travels to New York to bring you a rare sit down with Etsy CEO, Chad Dickerson. The online marketplace hosts scores of e-commerce stores for crafty entrepreneurs. (New York, Jan. 24)
9. TEDx talks urban sprawl: This TEDx event is meant to be a forum for discussing the role Baltimore can play in the ‘New Economy’ of entrepreneurship and bold thinking. Particularly relevant to entrepreneurs looking to capitalize on some of America’s aging urban economies, learn how places like Baltimore and Detroit can modernize and once again become leaders of industry. (Baltimore, Jan. 25)