In continuing today’s theme on social entrepreneurship, I came across a great list of 58 ways small businesses can save the world. Here are the top 20:
- Changing the office incandescent light bulbs to more energy efficient ones.
- Recycling internal paper, by printing on both sides
- Use email, not couriers
- Encourage suppliers to invoice you electronically
- Buy fair trade products (such as the office coffee)
- Encouraging staff to catch public transport (trains and buses) to work if possible
- Minimising the use of air conditioners wherever possible, or at least turn the thermostat up a degree.
- Sponsor a child or family
- Leaving lights and equipment off when we can
- Ensuring all monitors are switched off when not in use
- Organising to have a recycling bin for paper waste to be picked up by council
- Buy organic fruit for staff snacks
- Use mulch in the office garden
- Use waterless urinals and dual flush toilets
- Read online news instead of print newspapers
- Printing stationery on recycled paper
- Use cold water instead of hot
- Take unwanted, re-usable items to your local charity shop
- Stick a 'No Junk Mail' sign on your letterbox
- Buy rechargable batteries for all electronic devices
Do you have any additional suggestions for how small business owners can make the world a better place?