Social media has become the cornerstone of business marketing efforts.Â It’s no doubt that this phenomenon will only strengthen over time.Â And now with the new powerhouse Google+ on board, even more exciting times are upon us.
But for many entrepreneurs and business owners the question still remains, "how do we effectively use social media as a part of our business model and generate more leads?"
Here are 20+ Social Media Power Tips that if you implement into your marketing efforts may very well help you generate more leads! I will focus on the top five leading social media powerhouses – Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn and the new yet quickly growing Google+.
1. Write something compelling in your profile; make me want to follow you! This can be as simple as what value you offer to others; or even something fun and unique.
2. Actually have a conversation with those in your network as well as reach out to those yet not connected with you. Sure you conversations are limited, but you’d be surprised how effective you can get your intended message across even with only 140 characters.
3. Market your business. Let me clarify – market your business on Twitter intermittently with adding value and thought knowledge.
4. Expand and maximize your reach by using sites such as Triberr.com or Twitterfeed.com.
1. Create a Facebook Business page and post regularly. I know it seems like common sense, but you'd be surprised how many small business owners and entrepreneurs are not taking advantage of this tactic and post only once a week or less! No one wants to be part of a virtual ghost town.
2. Use the @ symbol to directly link other people and Facebook pages to your comments. Your @ replies show up on their wall and have the potential of being seen by hundreds if not thousands of people.
4. Use the photo slider on your business page to add advertisement-style images linked to URL's you would like people to visit, such as your service page, programs, product information page or subscribe page.
1. In your profile section, add what value you can give your prospects. For example, what services do your provide that can help your target audience?
2. Add a Slideshare, video, or PowerPoint presentation to your profile page using LinkedIn applications such as Box.net, Google Presentations & Slideshare Presentations to share valuable content and/or promotional information.
3. Join as many groups as you can manage (max is 50 groups). The advantage of this is, as you connect with members of the groups, you can request to add them to your network via that mutual connection. If they see you are in a shared group, they may be more likely to connect with you further.
4. DON'T use the default 'I’d like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.' Always personalize your message to increase your chances of making the connection. If you have not had any prior contact with the person, sharing with them a very good reason why you would like to connect would be helpful. Maybe you have a mutual friend. Maybe you've read something of theirs that you really enjoyed; feeding the ego always helps.
1. Utilize the use of teasers to give people insights to your products or services with your videos. For example, if you provide consulting, you can publish a small clip of you evaluating someone's business (with their permission of course).Â Just make sure you adhere to YouTube's terms in reference to commercial use.
2. Make sure to use keywords in your title, description and tags so you can easily get found by your target market. If you have a local business, be sure to include your local area within these areas. For example, if you are promoting your wedding video marketing services, you can add a title such as 'John Smith's Wedding Video New York'. How did I get this keyword? I just did a search on Google Adwords for searchable keyword phrases in that industry and in that location.
3. Have a call to action at the end of your video to let the listener know what the next step is. This can be done directly within the recorded video (verbally); or you can use software to add a title and credits clip to your videos. Most computers have free built-in software you can use for this purpose. Another option would be to create a customized video clip/intro for your videos.
4. Do a search in YouTube for your niche and start subscribing to other channels, make friend requests, and begin commenting and liking their videos.Â Tip: assuming the host of the channel allows for it, consider adding a video response for a more impactful result.
1. When setting up your profile on your About page, but sure to include keywords under your 'Employment' section on how you want others to search for you. For example, if you are a health coach, you may want to use this keyword and/or other relevant keywords in this area.Â This is the first term that shows up under your profile picture when your mouse is hovered over it.
2. Utilize your About page to the fullest by adding all relevant links to other sites you are affiliated with, such as other sites you run or contribute to, to all your social networks.
3. Make sure to +1 other status updates. This great way to engage others and promote reciprocity.
4. Occasionally jump on Google+ and activate the Google Chat option. Allow others to connect with you on a more personal level using this option. Same applies with Hangouts. Be on the lookout for hangouts going on and jump in to add value to the conversation.
Tip # 21 (Bonus)
Use Hootsuite to upload a CSV file of all your status updates for the week across you're social networks.Â You will have to upgrade to do this ($5.99/mo), however you can schedule these updates manually as well if you prefer the free version. The benefit of the CSV file is that you can make minor changes to it week to week and continue to use it over and over which will save you tons of time.
Tip: Marketing tweets, quotes and thought knowledge can be used over and over. However you many want to experiment with the days and times of your updates to see which give you the biggest results.
There you have it — 20+ Social Media Power Tips to help you generate more leads.Â Getting more leads is a process, much like anything else you do in your business. They key is to create a plan, stick with it, and evaluate over a course of time to determine whether or not adjustments need to be made. More importantly, is consistency with your social media marketing that will help you generate more leads.
Michele Welch is a Personal Coach and Online Business Advisor. She shares online business tips with those looking to start their own online business ventures, through her blog.Â Read more about Michele here.